Running Start is a state-wide program that allows junior and senior high school students to enroll in college-level classes tuition free, earning both high school and college credit at the same time. This type of dual-enrollment program gives academically motived students the chance to get started early on their college journey.
Deciding if Running Start is right for you means thinking critically about your goals and your readiness to meet the challenges of college-level classes. Ask yourself these questions:
- Am I ready academically? Can I keep up with the accelerated nature of college classes?
- Do I have good study skills and can I manage my coursework independently?
- Will I be comfortable in a classroom with people possibly much older than me?
There are several eligibility requirements that you must meet in order to enroll in Running Start. You must:
- Will be in 11th or 12th grade
- Have a cumulative gpa of 2.5 or higher
- Be under 21 at the start of the school year
- Not have graduated or earned a GED
- Place into college level English and/or Math classes
Steps To Becoming A Running Start Student
Once you and your parents/guardians have decided that Running Start is right for you, these are the steps to get enrolled.
1. If you don't already have one, create a Parchment account to be able to access your high school transcript. See 'Request a Transcript' on the left sidebar.
2. Apply to the college of your choice. See the college's website for application date deadlines. At Olympic College, be sure to indicate your student type as Running Start. DO NOT use your skstudent email, use your personal email.
3. Once accepted, activate your student account (if required) and make an appointment to take the Accuplacer (if needed) and/or talk to your SKHS counselor about other options to meet placement into English and/or Math classes. At OC, submit your transcript, Student-Parent Agreement, and test scores (if needed).
4. For colleges other than OC, you may need to apply separately to the Running Start program, following the steps and submitting required paperwork for that college.
5. Once accepted in the RS program, make an appointment with your SKHS counselor to complete a Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF).
6. Make an appointment with your college RS Advisor to discuss your class choices and get a registration PIN (if needed). Submit your RSEVF electronically to your college at least 2 days ahead of your advising appointment.
7. Attend Running Start orientation.
News & Upcoming Events
*Sophomores* You can begin the RS application process anytime! Plan to meet with Ms. Kasten or Mr. Lyon beginning in March.
Olympic College Running Start Information Nights begin Feb. 22. See website for full list of dates.
Spring Quarter advising at Olympic College for current students begins Jan 30. Contact your SKHS counselor asap to get your RSEVF.