Running Start is a state-wide program that allows junior and senior high school students to enroll in college-level classes tuition free, earning both high school and college credit at the same time. This type of dual-enrollment program gives academically motived students the chance to get started early on their college journey.
Deciding if Running Start is right for you means thinking critically about your goals and your readiness to meet the challenges of college-level classes. Ask yourself these questions:
- Am I ready academically? Can I keep up with the accelerated nature of college classes?
- Do I have good study skills and can I manage my coursework independently?
- Will I be comfortable in a classroom with people possibly much older than me?
There are several eligibility requirements that you must meet in order to enroll in Running Start. You must:
- Be in 11th or 12th grade
- Have a cumulative gpa of 2.5 or higher
- Be under 21 at the start of the school year
- Not have graduated or earned a GED
- Place into college level English and/or Math classes
Steps To Becoming A Running Start Student
Once you and your parents/guardians have decided that Running Start is right for you, these are the steps to get enrolled.
1. Apply to the college of your choice. See the college's website for application date deadlines.
2. Once accepted, activate your student account (if required) and make an appointment to take the Accuplacer (if needed) and/or talk to your SKHS counselor about other options to meet placement into English and/or Math classes.
3. If you don't already have one, create a Parchment account to be able to access your high school transcript. See 'Request a Transcript' on the left sidebar.
4. Apply to the Running Start program, following the steps and required paperwork for the college of your choice.
5. Once accepted in the RS program, make an appointment with your SKHS counselor to complete a Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (RSEVF).
6. Make an appointment with your college RS Advisor to discuss your class choices and get a registration PIN (if needed).
7. Attend Running Start orientation.