S O U T H  K I T S A P
W  O  L  V  E  S

 A      T      H       L       E      T       I       C      S

I'd like to play a sport at South Kitsap High School. What do I do? Where do I start?

Your first step should be to fill out an Athletic Participation Packet, which includes the yellow emergency card, student-athlete checklist and concussion form. You will also need to have had a sports physical done within the past 13 months. You can find the Athletic Packet online or at the SKHS Athletic Office. Once all paperwork is completed and turned in, grades checked and fines and fees paid, you will be given a pink clearance slip, which goes to your coach. The pink clearance slip lets your coach know that you are cleared to participate.

What about my GPA?

There is no GPA eligibility requirement. Academic eligibility is based on a point system for grades. If you have 8 classes and no F's, you need to have 15 points to be eligible. 7 classes with no F's, you need to have 13 points. If you have 6 classes and 1 F, you need 16 points; 7 classes and 1 F, you need 14 points. If you have 2 F's you are considered academically ineligible.

(A=4 pts., B=3 pts., C=2 pts., D=1pt., F=0 pts.)

Initial eligibility for Fall Sports is based on your final Semester 2 grades, Winter Sports is based on 1st quarter grades and Spring Sports is determined by a current grade check during the clearance process.

SK has a grade monitoring process, which intermittently provide coaches with athlete’s academic status throughout the season.  At predetermined points, any player falling below SK grade standards will be given one week to raise their grades so that they meet the requirements.

What if I am academically ineligible?

You can still turn out, and practice, but will not be able to participate in a game/match/meet etc. until you have either served an academic suspension period or until your grades are good enough, depending on the reason you are ineligible and which sports season it is. For more clarification on eligibility and academic suspension, please contact the Athletic Office.

What if I have fines? Can I still play?

You must pay all outstanding fines and fees (including middle school) at the ASB office prior to receiving your pink clearance slip in order to participate.

I don't want to buy an ASB Card; can I still play a sport?

No, you must purchase an ASB card in order to participate in any sport or activity at the middle school or high school. The ASB fee at the high school is $45 and at the middle school it is $30.

ASB stands for Associated Student Body. This is a group of students that are elected by their peers to represent them. ASB provides a wide range of activities on campus and fees help cover the cost of all school extra-curricular activities. The ASB Card also gives students discounts on things like yearbook, dances, admission to games etc.

How much does it cost to play a sport?

Each competitive sport/activity costs $75, if you play a second sport during the year the cost is reduced to $40 and if you play a third sport during that same year there will be not cost. ( SK Band and Choir are included ) Non-competitive activities and middle school sports cost $35.

I had a physical 18 months ago; do I have to get another one to play a sport?

Yes, physicals are good for 13 months in the South Kitsap School District. You will be ineligible to participate or practice at any time during the season if your physical expires. Make sure to get a new one in plenty of time before the current one expires.

I don't attend SKHS, but I'm a high school student who lives in Port Orchard. Can I still participate in SKHS Athletics?

Yes, you can. If you are a home-school student, attend a private school, or running start, you may participate in athletics at SKHS. Bring a copy of your current grades to our office and sign the applicable WIAA contract. Call the Athletic Office for an informal meeting with the Athletic Director for more details.

Do I have to have insurance to play?

Yes, medical insurance is required for all athletes. Dental insurance is highly recommended, but not required. If you don't have insurance, contact the Athletic Office for a “School Insurance” application, which has very reasonable rates.

What are the sports/activities that are offered at South Kitsap High School?

Fall: Crew (boys and girls), Cross Country (boys and girls), Football, Girls Soccer, Girls Swim & Dive, Boys Tennis, Girls Volleyball, Boys Water Polo, Boys and Girls Golf. 

Winter: Boys and Girls Basketball, Girls Bowling, Boys Swim & Dive, Wrestling, Equestrian.

Spring: Crew (boys and girls), Baseball, Fastpitch, Boys Soccer, Girls Tennis, Track & Field, Girls Water Polo, Boys and Girls Lacrosse.

Tryouts for Cheer and Dance are held in the spring for the following school year. 8th graders may try out for both. Cheer participates in fall and winter sports. Dance performs at events in fall and winter as well and starts competing during the winter months.  Both Cheer and Dance have large time commitments in and out of season, we encourage boys and girls to join our amazing programs!  Contact the coaches for more information.

What is the phone number of the Athletic Office?

360-874-5731.The high school athletics office is open 7am – 3:30pm Mon-Fri. 

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.