I want to...
How to : Step-by-step instructions
- Buy something with ASB funds
- Organize a fundraiser
- Fundraise for a Charity
- Organize a overnight trip with my group/team
- Organize our End of Season Awards
- Have a volunteer or chaperone help me
- Register for a coaching conference or workshop
- Start a Booster Club
Buy something with ASB funds
USING ASB FUNDS FOR PURCHASES:
- Complete a Request for Purchase Form – sign it & turn into the bookkeeper at the ASB Office.
- If you request a credit card to make a purchase, the ASB Bookkeeper will email you when the request is approved and when you may check out the credit card.
- Do not place any kind of order for an item until you have submitted the request for purchase to ASB Bookkeeper & confirmed approval. You can obtain a quote only. If the request is being paid by check, a purchase order will be issued & sent to the vendor.
- CREDIT CARDS ARE TO BE USED AT TIME OF PURCHASE. Card cannot be held by the vendor; it must be run at the time of ordering.
- Do not ship items to your home, all ASB orders should be shipped to the high school attention to the ASB office.
- Return credit promptly with all receipts
- For items paid by Purchase Order – if you receive the invoice please write ‘ok to pay’, your signature & the date you received the items on the invoice
- If you receive an invoice and you did not receive the entire order, please let ASB know.
- Make sure your request for purchase is complete, with correct sales tax rate, shipping estimated costs, and details of your purchase.
- ASB cannot reimburse you – NEVER use your own funds to pay for ASB purchases.
- Please do not place an order with a vendor if you have not submitted and received approval on a request for purchase form. ASB expenditures must be pre-approved before money can be spent.
- Gift cards may not be purchased with ASB funds.
- We may not ‘give’ anything paid by ASB funds to a student, parent or district employee. ASB money is public money and this would be considered a gift of funds.
*NOTE: It takes TIME to get your purchase approved. Please do not wait to submit paperwork - plan ahead.
Organize a fundraiser
1. Pick up a fundraising form from the ASB Office, complete both sides.
2. ASB Bookkeeper will obtain the needed signatures and will submit to the Student Council for approval.
3. You or a student representative should attend the student council meeting in the event there are questions. (this will help ensure approval)
a. *important - the fundraiser must be approved before you can advertise or have students pay or any monies be collected
4. If the fundraiser involves students collecting money for pre-ordered items, or tickets that will be assigned out to them, etc. the student and the parent must sign the Parent/StudentAcknowledgement of Fundraising Sale form.
5. Tracking and/or order forms should be used for fundraisers where items are being ordered after the sale.
6. It is up to the club advisor to verify that a student has deposited all funds to ASB before processing an order to an outside vendor. *for example: FFA sells butter braids. Students keep track of orders via a tracking form and deposit funds to the ASB office. When pre-sales end, the ASB office will provide a report of all funds deposited by each student to the advisor. The FFA advisor is responsible to confirm the amount of money the student has paid in to ASB MATCHES the orders the student is submitting. **please do not order extras to sell later, do not order if a student has not collected all the order money up front **
** IMPORTANT RULES **
If fundraising and selling items you will have on hand, inventory forms must be used to track beginning and ending inventory. Inventory must be tracked throughout the sale. If you are selling at lunches over multiple days or at multiple sporting events – your starting & ending inventory must be tracked via a form so that all items and dollar amounts reconcile.
If you are fundraising and selling items that will be pre-ordered (butter braids, cookie dough, wreaths, etc.) and delivered later – students MUST turn in their funds every single day to ASB with a copy of the order form. Staff and students should not hold money in lockers, classrooms, home, etc.
All ASB funds need to be deposited to ASB upon receipt. If an event is taking place on the weekend, monies must be deposited via night drop at the ASB window. Do not take money home.
Excess inventory cannot be given or thrown away, donated, etc., this includes food items.
See the Fundraising Checklist for more helpful tips & steps.
Fundraise for a Charity
FUNDRAISING FOR A CHARITY:
· Complete the fundraiser form – AND a charitable fundraiser form.
· The ASB Bookkeeper will obtain the signatures from the ASB Advisor, Principal, Student Treasurer and the Business Manager at the District Office.
· Once the form has been signed by all, it will be forwarded by the ASB Bookkeeper to the Student Council for approval
· You or a student representative should attend the student council meeting in case there are questions. This will help ensure your request is approved.
NOTE: your fundraiser must be approved by the Student Council before you can advertise or have students pay at the ASB window or collect any monies
** IMPORTANT RULES **
Check with ASB to verify the charity is already approved by the district office. Many clubs and sports fundraise for well-known charities. If the charity your group has in mind has not had money donated by the high school in the past, we will need a current year 1099 with the tax ID number from the charity.
100% of the net profits from your event must go to the charity. Charitable fundraisers can’t be divided between your ASB account and a charity. You can divide the fundraiser between multiple charities, as long as you requested that in your original paperwork approved by the Student Council.
As with all monies collected by staff or students, it should be turned in to the ASB upon receipt or if it is over a weekend, a drop by key will be provided for after hours. Do not take money home.
Organize a overnight trip with my group/team
OVERNIGHT TRAVEL WITH STUDENTS
Complete a Field Trip Request form, Overnight Travel with Students Expense form AND the District Approval form. All of these can be located on the FIELD TRIP page of the high school website.
Overnight travel requires district office approval, PLAN AHEA D. Your request can be approved even if you do not know all the details of your event. If you don’t know what students will be traveling, we can get approval and submit your roster later.
** NOTE * * The overnight travel expense form is an Excel document with 3 tabs to complete – see the bottom of the
document and click on the tabs to fill in necessary fields **
ASB will obtain the necessary signatures for approval and the signatures for the expense form.
As soon as you have identified your roster of students, please submit to the ASB office, Attendance office and the school Nurse.
If there are expenses for the trip, please submit a Request for Purchase for hotel, air fare, registrations, etc. to the ASB office (each needs to be a separate request).
BEFORE telling students the amount they will each owe, verify ALL expenses.
You may need to consider the cost of district transportation, sub coverage, etc. depending on your event and sport/club, etc. If students are to pay ASB for any part of the trip, please advise the ASB bookkeeper in advance the amount to be collected.
NOTES - The #1 issue that coaches/advisors seem to have is not submitting their requests in a timely manner. If you have an annual event like a parade, a concert or a tournament – you can submit overnight paperwork right when school starts and work out the details later for expenses, chaperones and student attendees.
Organize our End of Season Awards
END OF SEASON AWARDS
Everyone enjoys and appreciates the recognition of an end of season party and ASB funds can be used to cover the costs. Expenses for food and beverages must be reasonable, and properly documented!
LOCATION – If you plan on holding your event on campus, submit a Facility Use Request as soon as possible. Your preferred date and time may not be available, particularly around Christmas break and the end of the school year. You are competing with all other student events; award ceremonies and performances. Check the Building Calendar for possible conflicts. *Remember when the main stage is in use, events in the commons are typically not permitted.
Details for off-campus events are still required for communication purposes. Let the Athletics office & Office Coordinator know when and where your event will be.
CERTIFICATES & LETTERS – The bookroom & athletics office will print your certificates. Submit the Post Season Awards Worksheet at least 1 week prior to your event. Send a copy to Susan Schooler and the Athletics secretary, with your request for number of Varsity letters/emblems and any other certificates needed: e.g. coaches special awards.
TROPHIES - Small, inexpensive trophies or plaques are OK. Get a detailed quote/estimate from the vendor, including the cost of any engraving, and submit a Request for Purchase before you order anything.
- Home prepared foods may not be served or sold on school grounds or at any school sponsored event. Potlucks are not allowed.
Where food served is not pre-packaged, e.g. BBQ’s, Ice Cream socials, Pizza party, Spaghetti feed, Pancake breakfasts etc. all health dept. regulations should be followed and someone with a Food handler’s permit must be present (permit cannot be paid for by ASB). A list of who is serving and a copy(s) of the card needs to be turned in at the ASB office.
Food must never contain potentially hazardous ingredients, e.g. dairy-based desserts, nuts, raw seafood or meat.
(Note: events that include only; tea & coffee, commercially bought cakes & cookies, do not require a food permit)
2. A Request for Purchase for food can be open ended, as long as the expense does not exceed funds available in your account. The Request should include WHERE the food is being bought and an AMOUNT “Not to Exceed $200” for example.
Each store will need a separate Request for Purchase. If you want to buy items at Costco and Fred Meyer, you will need to submit TWO forms for approval.
Credit card and receipts should be returned to the ASB office the next day or next business day if event is on a Friday or weekend.
If your event is catered by SKSD Food Services. Expenses can be paid directly from ASB account. Request for Purchase should reference SKSD as the vendor with an estimate of costs, including any employee payroll expenses for kitchen staff.
Have a volunteer or chaperone help me
CHAPERONES & VOLUNTEERS
Volunteers and Chaperones can NEVER complete any paperwork or make any purchases on behalf of a team, club or group. (without express written consent by the district office)
Volunteer and Chaperone expenses cannot be covered using ASB funds.
All Volunteer Chaperones must be at least 21 years old.
Volunteers and Chaperones must know applicable school policies, their duties and responsibilities. They must be aware of specific emergency procedures.
Prior to driving a district or rented vehicle, Volunteers and Chaperones must complete a Written Assurance for Drivers and submit it to the Transportation dept.
Using a privately-owned vehicle is strongly discouraged. If necessary, a SKSD Volunteer Driver Form must be approved prior to the trip.
Register for a coaching conference or workshop
COACHING PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
The Collective Bargaining Agreement between SKSD and the SK Coaches Association allocates funds for individual professional growth for clinics and other coaching related professional development per sport, per year with prior approval from their respective building athletic director.
[Note: Coaches are individually responsible for: (a) obtaining and maintaining CPR/First Aid certification; and (b) obtaining and maintaining the appropriate coaching certification for the position, as defined by WIAA.]
- Complete the Coaches Professional Development Request form and submit it to the Athletics Office for approval.
- Once authorized, submit a Request for Purchase detailing the cost of registration, purchase and/or any other associated expenses.
- If you plan to claim mileage, also submit a Mileage Reimbursement RequesT along with supporting Google Map and any receipts for parking/ferry/tolls.
- Once approved the Athletics department will issue you with a credit card or enter a Purchase Order as appropriate method of payment. Do not use personal funds to pre-pay for professional development. This is not a reimbursable allowance.
Start a Booster Club
BEGIN HERE: Use this link for guidance, education, training and operational support to help you succeed https://wsbca.org/